1. A stream has a source at an elevation of 1,000.
meters. It ends in a lake that has an elevation of
300. meters. If the lake is 200. kilometers away
from the source, what is the average gradient of
(1) 1.5 m/km (3) 10. m/km
(2) 3.5 m/km (4) 15 m/km
2. Base your answer to the following question on
the topographic map below. A, B, C, and D are
locations on the map.
Between which two locations does the steepest
(1) A and B (3) C and D
(2) B and C (4) A and C
3. Point A and point B are locations 0.24 mile apart
on a ski slope in northern New York. Point A
has an elevation of 1,560 feet and point B has an
elevation of 1,800 feet. What is the gradient
between these points?
(1) 60 ft/mi (3) 500 ft/mi
(2) 240 ft/mi (4) 1,000 ft/mi
4. The diagram below represents contour lines on a
topographic map with cross-section line AB.
Which diagram best represents the topographic
profile along line AB?