1. Which statement best describes a general property of
1) Most rocks have a number of minerals in common.
2) Most rocks are composed of a single mineral.
3) All rocks contain fossils.
4) All rocks contain minerals formed by compression
2. Of the Earth's more than 2,000 identified minerals, only
a small number are commonly found in rocks. This fact
indicates that most
1) minerals weather before they can be identified
2) minerals have properties that are difficult to identify
3) rocks have a number of minerals in common
4) exposed surface rocks are igneous
3. What do most igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic
rocks have in common?
1) They are formed from molten material.
2) They are produced by heat and pressure.
3) They are composed of minerals.
4) They exhibit crystals, banding, and distinct layers.
4. Minerals are identified on the basis of
1) the method by which they were formed
2) the type of rock in which they are found
3) the size of their crystals
4) their physical and chemical properties
5. Scratching a mineral against a glass plate is a method
used for determining the mineral's
1) color 3) luster
2) hardness 4) cleavage
6. The crystal characteristics of quartz shown in the
accompanying diagram are the result of the
1) internal arrangement of the elements from which
quartz is formed
2) shape of the other rock crystals in the area where the
quartz was formed
3) amount of weathering that the quartz has been
4) age of the quartz crystal
7. Which rock is of felsic composition, low in density, light
in color, and coarse grained?
1) rhyolite 3) granite
2) basalt 4) gabbro
8. The data table below shows the composition of six
common rock-forming minerals.
The data table provides evidence that
1) the same elements are found in all minerals
2) a few elements are found in many minerals
3) all elements are found in only a few minerals
4) all elements are found in all minerals
9. Which sedimentary rock would be composed of particles
ranging in size from 0.0004 centimeter to 0.006
1) conglomerate 3) siltstone
2) dolostone 4) shale
10. Which property best describes a rock which has formed
1) crystalline structure
2) distorted structure
3) banding or zoning of minerals
4) fragmental particles arranged in layers
11. Most igneous rocks form by which processes?
1) melting and solidification
2) heat and pressure
3) erosion and deposition
4) compaction and cementation
12. Which characteristic of rocks tends to increase as the
rocks are metamorphosed?
4) number of fossils present