1. The diagrams below show the phases of the Moon as
viewed by an observer in New York State at different
times in August.
Which phase could have been observed on August 17?
2. The diagram below shows a model of the Moon’s orbit
around Earth. Letters A, B, C, and D represent four
positions in the Moon’s orbit.
What is the approximate length of time the Moon takes
to travel from position A to position C?
1) 1 day 3) 30 days
2) 15 days 4) 365 days
3. The same side of the Moon always faces Earth because
1) Moon’s period of rotation is longer than its period of
revolution around Earth
2) Moon’s period of rotation is shorter than its period
of revolution around Earth
3) Moon rotates once as it completes one revolution
4) Moon does not rotate as it completes one revolution